From a Heritage trail 2000 sign at West Grinstead Church.
Baybridge Canal company
In 1825 the Baybridge Canal Company was formed to widen and straighten the River Adur up to Bay
Bridge, just to the west of here (the church) beside the A24 (that would put it close to Knepp). A wharf had already been
constructed here in 1811 to unload lime, chalk and coal and this survived until 1982.
The company gradually declined after the opening of the Horsham-Shoreham railway in 1861 which was closed in 1966.
South of West Grinstead Church
here for church
Derelict Army Bridge
Modern Farm access bridge